Call for Poetry Readers, January 2021
Muzzle Magazine seeks a handful of new first round poetry readers to help us keep up with our growing submission pool. Muzzle Magazine, which just celebrated its 10th anniversary, is 100% volunteer run. We publish two online issues a year and use Submittable to manage submissions.
If you are interested in applying to work with our staff, please follow these guidelines to complete an application:
- Write "Poetry Reader Application: [YourFullName]" your email subject line;
- Include in the body of your email a brief cover letter explaining relevant experience and your interest in reading for Muzzle;
- Attach an 8-page poetry sample (1 poem per page) to your email;
- Send these materials to email@example.com by March 15, 2021.
It's our goal to never be homogenous in taste; we are looking for readers who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and aesthetic traditions. Applicants should maintain active readership as a citizen of the poetry community, and have an intersectional awareness that they bring to reading and analyzing poems. In this particular call for readers, we will prioritize submissions from Black, Indigenous and POC folks, and encourage applicants without MFA or PhD’s to apply as well.
Applicants will be screened with an eye toward the following:
- The poetry sample;
- Reasons for wanting to volunteer with Muzzle Magazine;
- Literary citizenship;
- Any supplemental skills or tasks you would be willing to perform as part of this volunteer position. These could include copy editing, web editing, design, non-profit experience, writing book reviews, or any other relevant skill set.
Experience with the following platforms preferred but not required:
- Patreon or other fundraising platforms.